Tuesday, December 8, 2009

New Items - handmade bags

I've been hankering to try making other handmade items besides tudungs... the first thing that came to mind was, of course, bags!!! I'm a bag-aholic, so sue me hehehe...

Since I never made one before, I pestered my mom to help me make one, a really basic tote without using any patterns... and this was the result:-


I love this bag! The fabric is so bright and cheerful, very suitable for the young and young-at-heart hehehe... of course, it was a very basic bag, so no pockets or buttons or whatever... but someone still wanted it! So it was SOLD to my boss, who wanted to give it to her daughter...

I then went on a book-binge, buying up many books and magazines related to sewing and bag-making, and one of my more recent purchases was the book 'Sew!' by Cath Kidston. The cool thing about the book was, it came complete with everything needed to make the bag on the book cover. As soon as I got the book home, I spent ages trying to decipher the instructions step-by-step.... and finally, TADAAA!!!





Because of this bag, I learned how to make buttonholes using the Singer sewing machine! My comment for this bag, though - the pattern did not indicate a lining, which kinda reduced the appeal of the bag. However, the expanded version of this bag (as a shopper tote) did call for a lining, so I guess the lining-free bag was for those who want a quick, simple bag only.
This one's not for sale though :) But I have had requests to make a similar bag, with a bigger body... will try that one soon then since the demand is there...

Never fear... tudung-making has not stopped... I'm just so excited about making other items as well now :)









2 comments:

  1. hi lynn,
    ok tak buku sew!Cath Kidston tu.
    instruction nye dlm foto picture @ drawing pict jer?
    kt mane nk dpt buku tu yea.
    & how much.
    i tgk buku tu kt website moya-hu.
    ada buku moya-hu tp mandarin lh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beli from kinokuniya, klcc... Klu xsalah around $100 gitu. Instructions dia quite ok actually, ada pic plus diagrams. At first a bit complicated but eventually ok la nk follow the instructions. Yg from kinokuniya tu confirm in English :)

    ReplyDelete